Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Câlisse ! Câlisse ! Câlisse ! Câlisse !

This would come out much better in French, but I really want as many people as possible to hear this. I definitely wasn't expecting this to happen - but as I've said before, everything that statistically will not happen to you, will happen to me.

So you're all supposed to know by now that last week, Former Roommate came and got out what was left of her stuff. So we had our new washing machine and dryer delivered. The important part here is that the delivery guys came in, put both machines where they belonged and plugged the washing machine.

This morning I got up and decided I'd do some washing. I started it up and proceeded to the bathroom where I had a shower. I got out of the shower, went to my room, brushed my hair, blowdried it for a minute or two, then tied it into a braid. Then I thought the washing was probably done now and I'd better go and put the clothes in the dryer.

So I walked out of the room and my right foot felt water on the carpet. I looked down and saw this dark, about one-inch diameter, circle-shaped, spot of water at my feet. I didn't think much of it, I thought perhaps my feet were still wet from the shower when I walked in, but I did think it really weird that it was so damp. I turned right, took a few steps and saw another, much bigger water spot on the carpet right next to the tiles of the kitchen. I thought "wow, something is wrong", I looked up a little, because I still was going to put the clothes in the dryer - and then I gasped.

Water. Water and soap. All over the damn floor - in the kitchen, from the dining room (where I was standing, on the carpet) until the washing room, on the other side. I rolled up my PJ pants and walked up to the washing machine and saw that the big, black hose that you shove into the wall had totally gotten out at some point during the cycle. I got really, really mad because if the fucking delivery guys won't install a damn washing machine correctly, then they should let the customers do it.

I wasn't sure exactly what to do first, so I called up Peanut at work - wasn't there. I called at home, nobody answered. By then I had figured that if the water made the floor and the carpet rot or something, I wasn't going to pay : FutureShop was. So I got out my digital camera and took a few pictures of the water spot on the carpet, and of the whole floor in the kitchen. Then I phoned up my father on his cell. He answered, and said I should take my pictures and then clean up the mess as soon as I could so there wouldn't be too much damage on the ceiling of the apartment under us.

As I cleaned up I saw where the water had mostly gone, and that is throught the walls of the kitchen, under the carpet all around the place : about one feet from the floor in the dining room, all around to one closet and our room, about two, three feet and a little bit in the closet in our room. I figured it out by walking on the carpet, now there's plenty of nice, big water spots everywhere.

My father had stuff to do not far from here, so he stopped by and plugged the washing machine again - and then we saw on the instructions that you need to shape the hose into a U and then use the tie strap they say is "provided". It was actually so fucking provided that the delivery guys did not install it and it wasn't in the washing machine. Their screwed up while installing.

So then I called up Customer Service at FutureShop to ask if they accepted responsibility if there's water damage under us, if the floor rots or whatever, hoping to get a yes on a recording (Customer Service calls are recorded), I was transfered to the actual place we bought the appliances, I talked to three different persons who couldn't answer me, so I left my home phone, my cell number and my name so they could call me back.

So I am really, really mad. Thank you.

No comments: