Tuesday, July 16, 2002

Somehow for once I have time to sit here and blog... but I can't find anything to say. Yet I have been really, really busy this last week - as you might've noticed from my short posts, and I should have a lot to talk about... but I don't. Hey.

I'm still stuck on how good RENT was... and I have a few examples of what made it so great - from the scenic point of view.
First, at the beginning of the show, Collins calls Mark and Roger from a phone booth, and while he's talking to them, some guys arrive and beat him. Well at that point, Collins and his phone booth is to the right of the stage, Mark and Roger are towards the center, a few feet from him. At the back of the stage was this staircase that led to a sorta platform - and the guys who come to beat Collins were up there. They had those baseball bats or something and they were hitting the air while Collins - to the right of the stage - was getting beaten.
Second, the song called "Life Support" is the meeting of some help group... The whole group was to the left of the stage, on another kind of elevated platform - except for Gordon. Gordon was downstairs, to the right of the stage, with his standing mike in front of him, facing the audience. At some point in the song, Gordon says to Paul : "Excuse me Paul, I'm having a problem with this credo. My T cells are low, I regret that news, all right ?"
And then Paul and he have a little dialogue. Except that Paul is with the others upstairs, to the left. And he stared at the public while he talked to Gordon.
See what I mean ? They weren't at the same place - yet they were !!!
Third, at the beginning, when Collins calls Mark and Roger, he's downstairs, near their appartment. And he tells them to throw down their key, which Mark does. On the stage, Mark looked down, on the floor, and threw the key down - and to the right of the stage, where Collins and his phone booth were, a key fell down from the ceiling so he could catch it. You know ?
Nothing can ever be that good. I swear.

No comments: