Saturday, September 14, 2002

The other day I was in my Spanish class and to practice some specific kind of verbs, the teacher asked us what horrified us. Or interested us. And for either question, I had no idea what to answer.
And then I realized the following : to learn a new language, you musn't translate. Translating will get you nowhere - you have to understand the mechanism of the language. As a French-speaker, for example, when I need to speak in English to someone, I set my mind to the "English mode". I don't think of what I wanna say in French and then translate it - I think it directly in English. That's the ideal attitude for someone learning a new language. Once I learned to do that, I got very good in English.
So now, when I enter my Spanish class, I set my mind to "Spanish mode". Except that I don't speak Spanish much, I dangerously lack vocabulary, mostly, so when my teacher asks what interests me, I can't answer because my Spanish mind, if you will, is rather empty.

I do like Spanish though. Been a while since I've been almost totally clueless as to how a language works. I got the whole picture ever since my first class, but I still have an awful lot to learn before I can really communicate, and it's cool.

Autre sujet : j'ai déjà mentionné que j'ai super peur de la machine à chocolat chaud, à la job ? En tk, j'en ai peur, à chaque fois qu'il fallait que je m'en serve, je réussissais à demander à quelqu'un d'autre, sauf ce matin. J'ai donc essayé de faire du chocolat chaud, avec une machine qui me fait peur, okay ! et puis tout ce que j'ai réussi à faire, au lieu de me rendre compte que c'était pas si pire que ça, c'est me brûler 3 doigts d'une shot ! Hourrah pour moi !

No comments: