Saturday, January 31, 2004

I have two mysteries for you people to try and solve today.

So, first of all, I had an "authorized" transaction of 1$ on my credit card, which I assumed was the amount they charged for transactions in US dollars. (I bought the tickets to the Lion King this month)
And suddenly, that 1$ disapeared. It's not there anymore. Gone. Just like that. I'm not complaining - but what happened to it ? I'm really worried.
(So, Tweety, this would mean you owe me 50¢ less than what I had calculated. Enjoy and go on a shopping spree)

Mystery number 2 is an expression I found in my last translation exam and that nobody understood what it meant - even the teacher didn't.
Background info, the text is narrated by this guy, telling us that he recently took a flight to Vancouver and happened upon a friend of his he hadn't seen in years. They talked until the "wee hours" and then met again for breakfast. The following sentence goes like this : "Now I can handle a long night with the best of them, but when it's piled up on 3 hours jet-lag... let's say I was a wee bit tired."

Right now I'm wondering if the teacher always uses the same exams and if I might be helping next year's students. Never mind.

So ! Who knows what the "best of them" part is referring to ? Some girl is saying he's talking about the breakfast. I think she's the only one to have come up with an explanation.

So that's it. Now I have to write 800 words in a few hours, because yesterday I worked until 9 PM and today I'm working at 1, tomorrow at 8, and Monday at 6 until 11 and I have to take the bus at noon to get to my class and hand the paper in.
If they could just fucking give me a stable schedule I might've managed my time a bit better than that.

No comments: