Friday, July 09, 2004

This is hell.

The ringing phone woke me up this morning at 8:15 because the landlord wanted to warn me that the cleaning guys were gonna be here around 9, 9:30. I had to get up, have breakfast, take a shower and get dressed in a time worthy of guinness records. They were here at 9:40 or so. I called the landlord so she could come around to check on the guys. She stayed there almost an hour, and she asked one of the guys whether or not they were gonna clean the whole carpet. The guy did not understand because he said he "only [spoke] English". Which wasn't exactly right as he understood most of what she told him in French and was able to garble a few sentences. Anyways. So he said he was instructed to only rinse the carpet where the water had been and she wasn't happy because she said she wanted the whole carpet done - but for that, she'll have to call her insurance company. So the guy went about his business, about 10 feet away from where the landlord and I were sitting, and she started saying how this is Québec and people should speak French, and how she did speak English but as the customer who is paying she wanted to be spoken to in her own language, etc, etc. Which is good reasoning in a way, except that I, as a naive little girl who tries to believe that bilinguism in Québec is a possible thing and not a utopic dream, felt really, really bad because the guy was like, RIGHT THERE and I knew he understood what she was saying.

She left after a while and then the guy turned to me and said : "That lady's the landlord ?" "Yeah", I said. "Sure a nice person, eh ?"
I apologized although I had nothing to do with it, because damn it, think what you want, but shut up about it. Plus the guy was nice enough to clean all the carpet in the dining room. He asked me if I wanted him to do the living room as well, but as he said, this was just rinsing and disinfecting, no cleaning, so I said that if the landlord wanted more to be done, she'd have to call her insurance. He was relieved I think and they left to do the two other apartments.

So they left two blowers and this dehumidifier here, and they make this annoying noise, plus we have to keep all windows shut. Luckily he said we could turn off the blowers at night and turn them on again in the morning, but the dehumidifier needs to be on at all times. It's just been half an hour and I'm already going crazy. And he said they were going to come and get those machines back on Monday. Monday ! That's a whole week-end in non-stopping noise because of stupid guys who can't install a damn washing machine !

Anyway, I have to go to the municipal library pretty much now and I also am going to have a double of my key made for the landlord. On Monday I am working at 9:30, and I have a class at night, so I want them to be able to come in if they need to.

So for the second time in three days the damn place is wet all over and you never realize how annoying having your feet constantly wet can be until you have to put up with this for a long period of time.

No comments: