Tuesday, August 17, 2004

So, so, so. My father says I should send a letter to FutureShop right away to tell them that I'm holding them responsible for the damage of the building. I'm not exactly sure, but I've already written a draft. Can't be a bad idea - can it ?

SOUS TOUTES RÉSERVES
Madame, Monsieur,

J’ai acheté une laveuse chez vous le (insérez date), laquelle m’a été livrée le 27 mai 2004. Les livreurs ont procédé à son installation, malgré le fait qu’il n’y ait eu aucune demande à cet effet de la part de qui que ce soit. Cette installation, après vérification dans le livre d’instructions, a été mal faite, et, par conséquent, le 7 juillet 2004, en plein milieu d’un cycle, le tuyau de la laveuse s’est complètement dégagé du mur et l’eau a coulé dans mon appartement et dans les appartements au-dessous.

Je désire donc vous informer que, l’installation ayant été faite par les livreurs et ce, sans demande de ma part, FutureShop sera considéré comme le responsable des dommages qui ont été causé à l’immeuble et les frais de nettoyage et autres vous seront réclamés.

Bien à vous,
Quartz


This is getting kinda mixed up because :

a. my name is not on the lease, because people had conditioned me to believe I was going to leave for Ottawa. So the apartment is, officially, solely Peanut's. So when the landlord's insurance wants somebody to pay for the repairs, they can't go after me : I am in no way responsible for this apartment - officially. So they will have to ask Peanut to pay - and not me.
b. when I was talking to I. Guy yesterday afternoon, I asked if the landlord's insurance could sue FutureShop themselves. I'm not sure whether he understood what I meant, because he replied that they could sue whoever they wanted, me, FutureShop, or Peanut - "in which case", he said, "he would be insured because his name is on the policy".
c. therefore - if we admit that a and b are true - our insurers would have to pay our landlord's.
d. say I'm right so far and this is what happens. Our insurance won't forget that supposedly the appliances are mine, and mine only, so afterwards they'll probably go after me to get their money back.
e. back where I started. Then I would have to sue FutureShop. But I'd rather be stuck with Peanut's insurance company than the landlord's.
Because by then, my name will probably be on the policy, and although this doesn't change the fact that it wasn't at the time of the damage, I still will be a client of theirs. So then they would find themselves in a very delicate situation. Thou shalt please the client - therefore thou shalt be fukcing nice and careful when you sue them.

No comments: