Wednesday, April 06, 2005

C'était pas une assemblée générale, ça... c'était une abomination, voilà ce que c'était. Ya pas d'autre mot.

My thoughts are very clear right now - they are just somewhat mixed as to the language, and I'm not in a mood for unifying everything, so deal with it. I am very, very disapointed in my school. And I am deeply ashamed as well to be part of that school.

So I went to that GA. Which didn't happen.
There was no quorum.

PAS DE QUORUM ! Ya pas eu de foutu quorum ! Quessé ça cette merde-là d'école si l'asso est même pas capable d'avoir son quorum deux fois sur trois ? Apparemment ya juste eu moi qui ai été humiliée de pas retenir le foutu quorum pour toute la durée de la dernière assemblée. Ya juste moi qui a été humiliée de voir plusieurs étudiants se pointer à leurs cours lors de NOTRE SEULE CÂLISSE de journée de grève.

Deux mots : solidarité étudiante. Deux autres mots : conscience sociale.
Fallait 715 étudiants pour faire le quorum - on était à peine 200. C'est ridicule. C'est pathétique. C'est dégoûtant.

You wouldn't think there would be such a gap between francophones and anglophones, but apparently there is. French students are passionate about this. They want to vote. They want to have their say. They're concerned about the cuts in education and they feel impacted by it.

I hate to judge, but from what I've seen so far, English students don't give a damn. Or maybe not - I just think that their way of saying they're against a strike is just, well, not showing up to assemblies. Which is ridiculous and I am very ashamed for you.

The GA couldn't be called to order - instead, we did an "informal meeting". En d'autres mots, une réunion complètement inutile, qui a juste donné la chance aux étudiants extrémistes de chialer. Ce qui est leur droit. Si au moins yavait pu avoir des étudiants de chaque côté pour équilibrer !

On était assez chanceux pour avoir un représentant de la FEUQ pour nous expliquer le deal. Moi j'ai trouvé ça bien. Jusqu'à ce que tout le monde se mette à l'attaquer en disant que l'entente de principe, c'était de la marde. D'accord, vous avez le droit de penser ça, je suis d'accord que ya des crosses dedans.

The FEUQ representative said - FEUQ isn't against you. We represent you. We encourage you to accept the agreement in principle but if you don't, and if you want us to go back and negotiate some more with the government, we will. However, you have to be willing to accept a 3-week strike mandate to keep pressuring the government. A lot of students have gone back to school. If the remaining striking students are able to keep the pressure up by striking at least an additional three weeks, we can do it. Else, we're just going to lose our momentum and god knows what we will get.

J'ai pris ça comme un coup dans les dents - mais là encore, apparemment, je suis la seule à avoir compris ce que ça voulait dire. Vous voulez refuser l'entente ? Good. Pas de problème. MAIS FAITES DE QUOI ! On a fait une misérable journée de grève, ya PERSONNE qui est willing de partir en grève à une semaine des examens - alors on se prend pour qui de refuser le deal ? C'est pas comme si on avait notre mot à dire, really, c'est pas comme si nous, personnellement, les étudiants de l'université X, avions obtenu quelque chose à force de moyens de pression, ce sont les autres qui ont fait la grève, ce sont les autres qui vont payer si on finit par obtenir de quoi ou si on obtient rien du tout, pendant que nous, on finit tranquillement notre session !

Pas que je sois pas contente de faire ma session au complet. J'aurais pas voulu qu'on fasse de grève. Mais on peut pas attaquer la FEUQ en disant qu'ils font mal leur job quand nous, de notre côté, on fait rien pantoute. Voyons donc.

I am mostly disapointed in the student union. They put posters up regarding the GA on Monday. Don't tell me they don't plan GA's more than three days in advance. Please. Supposedly there weren't any posters at the other campus. How do you expect to get quorum like that? They are idiots. They really are.

So yeah, I was pretty upset during that "informal meeting". I considered leaving once or twice, and I wouldn't let myself do that because I felt it was plain stupid to leave because the fact that people didn't agree with me upset me. But then I realized I wasn't upset because they were arguing another point of view - I was really upset because they were arguing for nothing at all. There was no damn quorum. I thought I should stay also because they were taking a vote at the end of the meeting, a sort of poll to see how students felt about the proposal, but as only those against it showed up, I figured I already knew the outcome, and the attitude of the students and the union pissed me off so I left after an hour.

C'est complètement ridicule. C'est p a t h é t i q u e.

No comments: