Wednesday, September 07, 2005

So you're all obviously dying to know: how was Spanish class, Quartz?

And because I care and I wouldn't want you to walk through the rest of your life unsure that I am feeling equipped to go through an intensive class, I will tell you.

It wasn't so bad, actually.

I was stunned to see the course was given in a very small class - but after giving it a quick thought, it did seem quite logical that only a handful of crazy human beings would sign up for such a class. So I walked in to be a part of that handful of crazy human beings.

The teacher was a little late, and she walked right into the class, saying "Buenas tardes, ¿c&243mo esta&/237s? ¿Algunas preguntas?"
(All right, so she said her name and wrote it on the board first, but still, you get the impression.)
It was kind of confusing because usually, the teachers go over the course outline with us before asking if we have questions. So we asked her where she was from and stuff like that (turns out she's from Egypt and she learned Spanish in University. The very good side of that situation is it probably makes her the only Spanish teacher in the whole department to be able to speak English properly.).
She asked us if we had been to any countries where Spanish was spoken... Pretty much everybody in the class had to speak... except for me. Which was a relief, because I hate having to speak in a class, but it was quite weird too.

Then we had to work in teams so everybody, including me, could speak Spanish a little. That was harsh. I mean I can't bond with people I don't know if you take my words away from me! I kept switching to English for that very reason. That little episode reminded me that I couldn't remember my Spanish numbers - of course, numbers have always been the toughest for me in any language, but I tend to forget that.

After the class I went out to buy the course pack (a hundred bucks, glad it's an intensive course) and I thought clearly, if I'm going to do well in this class, I'm going to have to learn to speak way more effectively than I speak now, and because I have to have some sort of confidence before I go out and speak Spanish.... I'm going to have to start speaking Spanish to myself when I'm home alone!

Now, please pretend you don't know?

No comments: