Saturday, December 31, 2005

I wonder why we all make such a big deal out of this. I mean new beginnings, if they actually exist, are far scarier, more complicated and difficult that this. You don't suddenly start anew when the clock strikes midnight. Sure it's the beginning of a new year, but time is no cycle, it just goes on and on and on and really, it's up to you to try to keep up. And from what I've seen, it's no use trying to keep up, because you can't, and it isn't actually bad.

I guess it's so important to get that false sense of new beginning each year because it allows people to think they can forget all about the 365,25 previous days - or the bad parts, actually. You made mistakes? It doesn't matter anymore, the year is over and you get to start over. You went through hard times? It doesn't matter anymore, the year is over and the next will undoubtedly be easier.

It really is crazy the extents people go to to ease their minds.

I mean sure, I'll be the first to stand and try to make things as smooth as I can for myself and for those who are worth it, but I don't achieve this by making up beliefs and surrounding myself with crazy delusions. Really, nothing is new twice.

And look, things have been going better and better for me in the past two years, and there certainly is a Quartz-before-moving-out and a Quartz-after-moving-out, but moving out was never a fresh start. Evolution happens on its own when it is supposed to happen, not because we're going through the month of January all over again.

Our lives are filled with before's and after's, why should we make more up? And mostly, why should the before's be left behind when a so-called "new start" needs to happen? I mean I was a person before and I will be a person after, maybe different, but not new, I am not starting anew because it turns out you're not worth the trouble or because ultimately I'm better off in a certain way and certainly not because suddenly it's 2006 and what? Rain is washing over me?

Really, I'm not ever starting anew, I'm getting on on a different basis and that is called continuation, people. Get real.

No comments: