Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Because the less likely it is to happen, the more certain is it to happen to me:
Taking a final exam in University is extremely complicated. First, you walk in and pick a slip of paper with a number written on it. This is your seat number. Then you must show that slip of paper along with your student ID to a supervisor who takes note of your seat number, and once this is done you wander through the class, looking for the second slip of paper with your seat number on it.
I walked in amongst the first in the class, picked number 20, signed in with the supervisor, and then proceeded to locating seat #20.
Except that there was no seat #20. There was seat #19. And then there was seat #21. So I looked like a total idiot being unable to find a damn seat for a few minutes before I gave up and arranged with the supervisors to pick another number.
Quick, on the top of your head, people, what do you think were the odds of me picking THE ONE MISSING SEAT NUMBER in the whole selection?

Because yes, we've come this far:
While we were waiting for the exam to start, one of the supervisors stood in front of us and made the following announcement:
"As of yesterday, there are new rules to the code of conduct during an exam, concerning electronic devices, such as cell phones. If you have it on you, it is automatic disqualification. No appeal. And if it's in your bag and it rings, it is also automatic disqualification, no appeal. So you better make damn sure your cell phone is turned off."
Isn't it horrible people have so little respect for others that they had to make it an official rule to turn off a cell phone during an exam?

Because I musn't give up on human kind:
On my way to the exam, I happened upon this translator I worked with last winter. We talked briefly and I was reminded that yes, there are nice people on this earth. It's just too bad none of them is amongst my close friends.

Because it's not that easy to let go of your principles:
On my way back home, this lady not so far from me slid in the stairs and fell down. I was shocked to see the lady right next to her barely give her a look before moving on as if nothing had happened, while the poor lady remained seated in the stairs, looking shocked. I stopped for a few seconds while this other woman helped the poor lady up and I left when I saw she looked okay and she was getting help. As I walked away, I still couldn't believe the woman the closest to her when she fell had not stopped to check on her. I mean I stop when people fall and I leave my seat to elders when I'm in the bus or the metro because I'd feel bad the whole day if I didn't.
And then I remembered I didn't want those moral principles anymore and nearly turned on my heels to go back and give that lady a good kick in the head.

Now I need a piña colada.

No comments: