Sunday, August 20, 2006

(continued from my comments on Tori's videos, below)

Hey Jupiter
"No one's picking up the phone
Guess it's clear, he's gone
And this little masochist
Is lifting up her dress
Guess I thought
I could never feel the things I feel"

This video is a good illustration of what it's like sometimes when a relationship ends. Tori is sitting in a burning down appartment... just sitting there, singing, until this little blonde girl, representing some sort of angel, runs into the appartment, takes Tori by the hand and gets her out. Outside are the firemen and the crowd of neighbors who stare at the burning building.

Caught a Lite Sneeze
"Boys on my right side
Boys on my left side
Boys in the middle
And you're not here
I need a big loan
From a girl's zone"

The song is about a breakup and the video illustrates all the illusions being revealed as the relationship is ending. The camera keeps switching angle so as to show that what you thought was the horizon is just paint on a wall and the ocean ends right there - oh, but wait, actually, this isn't really an ocean either. Very powerful.

1000 Oceans
"I'm aware what the rules are
But you know that I will run
You know that I will follow you
Over Sillbury hills, through the solar field
You know that I will follow you"

This is basically a beautiful love song, which is pretty surprising. I always thought it wasn't very Tori, but that's just me. Anyways, as I was saying, this is a love song with which Tori made a very interesting video. Tori is standing behind this window and people walking on the street stop to watch her. It seems it has been decided that Tori needed to be put away and while she is singing the song to herself as if nobody were watching, day-to-day life is seen in the background, and you can see how those who stop to watch her actually stop because they feel they can relate to her situation - she is right in the middle of them, but she is alone, she is different and thereby stigmatized.

No comments: