Tuesday, September 05, 2006

A. My mother is officially going back to school. She never finished high school and over the course of the past two weeks, we discussed how she wanted to go back when I was young, how she couldn't and how she never did it in the end.
She signed up for her first French class tonight.
So, how does it feel to see your 55 year-old mother go back to high school just weeks after you've finished your very last bachelor degree class, Quartz? Answer: pretty fucking weird. But I think it's a good thing that she's doing.

B. Back from the second Ottawa trip this week. I went only with my father this time because my mother had to work and sign up for her class. We visited three appartments today. I will tell you, in case you don't already suspect it, that trying to find a decent appartment miles from where you live, is a pain in the ass. Drive to the other side of the planet, drive around in order to become familiar with the place and also get a general idea of where the ideal areas are and where you'd like to live, get a local newspaper, spend endless minutes making phone calls from a pay phone or your cell phone, sitting in a car, to full voicemail inboxes, to page owners who won't call you back because your cell phone area code is from the other side of the world, to houses where no one is available to pick up and to a small number of people who are actually home in the middle of the day and willing to talk to you. Then, make an appointment to visit, waste your time waiting for that appointment, visit, REPEAT. Then try to make a decision.
I got sick of it. I saw only 4 appartments but I made up my mind.
I'm going back (a-fucking-gain) tomorrow to sign the lease. I'll tell you more about it then.

No comments: