Monday, September 08, 2008

Culinary Experience of the weekend: cheese fondue.

Some time ago, Raiontzukai, Anémone, S and I realized neither of us had ever had cheese fondue and decided we should organize one. This took place Saturday night at Raiontzukai's and my new home. (Or something. I'm never exactly sure how to articulate that kind of phrase.)

S's kids were there as well as Agnan (my former upstairs neighbor who took out my garbage and Anémone's father) and G, the 12-year-old daughter of friends of Agnan's. We had a blast, but I didn't like the fondue all that much. We had four difference kinds of bread and quite a number of vegetables, and against all odds, I liked the vegetables better with the cheese. Maybe it was the cheese mix we got, but I thought it tasted too much like wine - I don't know, I wasn't impressed.

Anyone has tips?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have fond memories of having fondue way back in the 1970s when it was trendy for a while. Try a different recipe, because some of them are quite good. I never made it, so I can't offer any tips other than you have to have a chocolate fondue for desert after the cheese fondue.

Quartz said...

Really? Cheese followed by chocolate? Raiontzukai suggested that, but Anémone and I felt that would be way too much for one meal and we'd all feel lousy afterwards!

Anonymous said...

What, you've never had chocolate covered cheesecake? Cheese and Chocolate are natural mates! Just don't eat too much of either and you'll be fine.

Quartz said...

Good point, but I would be unable of not eating too much. Fondue is made for eating too much, and my stomach has a ridiculously tiny size!