Friday, January 06, 2017

As you might remember, I live with two cats. I adopted Sambuca when I moved into my first appartment here, and chose that specific name because I was looking for something original that might surprise the neighbors if I actually had to call out her name outside. (Which, in case you're wondering, did happen once - and yes, I am aware I am linking to myself too much these days; fear not, it will pass.)

When we decided to get another cat, obviously, we needed a matching name, and because that decision had been made in Greece, we settled for Ouzo.

At the time, it was simply funny.

As time went by, the novelty attached to the cats' names wore off and, probably because we drink neither ouzo nor sambuca, most of the time we're not even aware anymore that they refer to liquor.

And then we had babies. Who eventually started talking. And saying the cats's names.

And I had not noticed before yesterday, but I'm guessing the fact that I have a 3-year-old who knows the words "ouzo" and "sambuca" and a 19-month-old who, although he has a very limited vocabulary, can clearly enunciate the word "ouzo", might be quite distressing to some.

No comments: