Tuesday, January 03, 2017

It had only been about a year since I'd taken up yoga when I heard the voice for the first time.

I had had my fair share of certainties for a while, but that era was long gone - and as far as I can remember, they had always been sudden intuitions, never actual words that felt just as though they were uttered by someone. The voice.

Of course, for years, I had also had my own dark voices. But those were different, because they were clearly my own. The voice was - or at least felt like - that of an outsider.

Which is why the moment stuck with me. Or not really, I guess. Because the key element really is the simple fact that the voice was right.

To be honest, I'm quite a bad yoga student. Somehow, in a class, I involuntarily turn into a rebellious teenager and refuse to do what the teacher wants. Oh, the actual yoga positions I do just as asked. But the minute the teacher tries to tell me what to think? Then I really channel my inner teenager.

For example, teachers will often ask students to just focus on their practice and let any thought that goes through their minds float away. That's all I need to immediately start following a deep and complicated train of thought about any subject of current concern.

So it had only been about a year since I'd taken up yoga, and my life, yet again, had just been turned upside down. I was angry. I felt alone. I was utterly terrified. And, worst of all, I was empty.

Another frequent request from yoga teachers, at the beginning of a class, is for students to set an intention for their practice. My inner teenager obviously never bothered trying to figure out what that meant - but for 18 weeks, that moment was my minute to connect with her.

So when the teacher made that same request on week 19, I was at a loss. I reached within me, but couldn't find anything. Of course - did I mention? I was empty.

And suddenly, the voice spoke: "he will be a boy and he will be healthy".

It was weird enough - but it made perfect sense. All of a sudden, I was calm. I was settled. I just knew.

Of course, the feeling only lasted a couple of seconds. Then it was gone, and I couldn't summon it back. But I remembered. Remembered still when it was all confirmed, months later.

It's been years now. I have only heard the voice once since. But I do sometimes still stop and wonder who spoke then. I don't believe in any afterlife - but could it have been her? Or could it have been my Dad?

Could it have been me?

No comments: