Tuesday, May 23, 2017

She and I never had much in common - except for a father. For a while, we were innocent, and it was enough. Then we grew up and she walked away. She was angry. And nobody talked. I didn't get it. Was I the only one? It seemed to me you were doing your part and she was bashfully reciprocating, as she always had. It wasn't out of the ordinary.

Until you got sick, and she thought she should make a statement. She thought she should let you know how irrelevant you were to her life. And I get it; I've made a similar statement in such an ill-chosen time, too. Except I was a teenager. I wasn't an adult who should have known that moment wasn't about my own beliefs. She was.

You were hurt, but you didn't let it change who you were. You were always eager to help - her, and everyone else. You loved her just the same. Even if you didn't get it - because the statement mattered enough for her to hurt you, but not enough for her to be anything but bashful for once, and to actually walk up to you, speak her mind and get an answer.

I watched you grieve, and I grew angry, too. Over her self-victimization, her entitlement, her unresponsiveness. I grew angry enough for her to take notice. And then I realized it didn't matter. It wasn't worth wasting energy over. I had gotten my point across, but I could never shake her sane. So I let go. That is what you would have wanted, because, in some respects, you were so much better than me.

I am not angry anymore. She might not have known better. I certainly couldn't see her side of the story. So we have resumed watching each other from afar, and it's fine.

Recently, she's been sinking. Asking for help. I can't personally help her, but on the top of my head I can think of at least four people who could. But, unsurprisingly, they don't. And I watch, and I know, if you were still here, you would not have it. You'd be all over the place. I wonder if she knows. You'd have made time. You'd have found money.

You would have been there.

And I watch, and I wonder : is that what karma is?

No comments: