Thursday, May 18, 2017

So I don't like people. Or, to put it another way, I don't think that you and I need to engage in small talk just because we are neighbours/take the same bus/work for the same organization. Because that doesn't mean that we have anything in common or, mostly, that you are not plain weird. Oh, and I loathe small talk.

I'll readily admit, I'm the problem, here. Because when I'm forced to interact with people, I generally find they're not that bad. Some of them are actually great.

So I don't like people, but I've developped some people skills because well, I still have to talk to the people I don't like or for whom I have not the slightest degree of interest. But. This seems to be backfiring on me, as I now have two specific colleagues who appear to think we're work buddies. The first one seems to think we're on "come chat in my office" terms, although I don't even know his freaking name. The other one is actually behaving as if we're friends, so much so that I've considered not picking up the phone when I see his name on the caller ID.

It clearly means my efforts at improving my social skills were not in vain, but that might be just a little too much success for me. I need to work on my resting bitch face now.

Or actually, this just might mean that some people are even worse than I am at picking up social cues. Who knew?

No comments: