Wednesday, August 16, 2017

The boss of another team that works on my floor is touring all the offices to introduce everyone to two new employees.

When she got to me, she did not tell the new employees what I do, but she did tell them: "She can be bratty."

This is a lady whom I joke a lot with and who comes directly to me when she has an important email to send, so I know she has respect for my skills. And it was a joke. And yes, a funny one, at that.

I've said recently that I generally like to keep the organizational hierarchy in mind, and this is a great example why; although that lady clearly didn't realize it, such an introduction can only serve to undermine a person's credibility - my credibility. And believe me, credibility is something you have to work for when you're the youngest member on your team, have left for two mat leaves in a short period of time and like to make jokes.

No comments: