Friday, November 19, 2004

I really hate French Blogger. It's nice of them to make this opportunity available to people, but I happen to like English Blogger better.

Other than that, I really have to do some venting now. When Jillian and I came back from the interview, she left immediatly and I stayed. One of my boss came in, wanting to hear about the interview, and he was surprised to see Jillian was gone. He was left to talk to me, so I did tell him a little about how it had gone. Thing is, I happened to be really tired, to have a headache, to have really disliked the psychiatrist we interviewed, and he kept using expressions I'd never heard before. (This is quite irrelevant - or not, because it does explain a bit the state of mind I was in at the moment - but never mind) Mostly, the interview went pretty well, except that the guy didn't really narrow his answers to what would be of interest for the Foundation. So he said a lot of things, but a lot of them are of no use to us. Jillian and I will have to sit down together and write everything up in order to figure out how much working material we actually have. So when my boss asked how helpful the psychiatrist was, I replied that I didn't know, then paused, trying to word my thoughts and explain why it wasn't clear. That's when my boss said something along the lines of "so Jillian will have to figure out". Which I really didn't appreciate all that much. I mean fine, you're the boss, you get to bitch at me, but not without a valid reason, damn it.

Because last time I checked, I was a translator. And I'm really opened to new experiences, and so far I've created content for our website, I've worked on marketing issues, reviewed documents and did interviews and it was nice - but don't bitch at me because I'm not an interview goddess. Damn it, I don't even know why they're sending me there in the first place, really. I'm not even sure I know what we're looking for exactly. And I might have people skills - I obviously do given the amount of customer service that I've done - BUT they're quite narrow. I'm bitchy, and I'm mean, and I don't like people. This is why my life goal is not to conduct interviews and then offer you a detailed spoken report.

I really hated his comment because now I feel he thinks I can do nothing on my own and I always have to have somebody backing me up. Which, well, I might, sometimes, but if you're looking into translation, so far, I've been doing pretty damn good. Of course he is not the one looking into my translations, so he wouldn't know, I guess : all that matters to him is really my "corporate" skills.
I don't know. I just liked him a lot before, and this bitchy comment ruined it.
And I really hate it, because although I know I shouldn't take it seriously because the quality of my translation work, which is really all that matters, can't be questionned here, I do. Because damn it, I don't know, I just thought he was a cool person, and I would've liked him to know I can be just as cool. That, and just when you start to think that quest for perfection was really just a fantasy on your side, and people in real life don't expect you to be perfect - you realize that you're wrong. Again.

No comments: