Tuesday, January 04, 2005

So I called Co-op Coordinator yesterday to tell her I didn't want the job at the Translation Bureau anymore - actually, that I wanted to take it next summer instead. She proposed another job, stressing that she can only send three students to the Translation Bureau next term, but my mind was made up so I am now officially a student for this term. Yay.

I had so insisted to everyone that I wasn't going to Ottawa that nobody is really surprised. When I hung up with Coordinator, I went to Peanut and told him that I was officially staying, all I got was a not-so-convincing "that's very cool". *sigh*

So, other than that, yesterday was my first day of class, and here's a review :

First up, anthropology. The class seems to be pretty much what I thought it was when I decided to take it : that is, lectures, studying from the book, and multiple choice exams to which we are allowed to take as many hand-written notes as we want. Nothing hugely exciting, but bearable.
Except that the teacher is this Chinese guy whose English just stings your ears. I mean it really hurts. Actually, his English is ok (although he did give us his "e-mail number"), but his accent just kills me. To be fair, he does seem to be a nice, helpful guy, so when I get used to his accent, things should work out.
And then the course pack we need for the class is 98$. Although he winded up telling us that he made a deal with the editors, so we get the mandatory 95-dollar book along with an un-mandatory book worth about 20 bucks for 98$ in that course pack. Interesting, but absolutely useless. I intend to try and find that mandatory book in a library or cheaper elsewhere.

Then, professional writing.
The teacher is a freak. Really. She really seems to think she's better than everybody else because she wrote books and articles, and she teaches her class sitting down for two hours. Plus we have no notes to take as everything is in our textbook (which she wrote and is personally selling to personally make all the money)so after a while, that class gets really boring. And since it is given from 8:30 to 10:30 at night, it is very easy to fall asleep.
Anyways, for this class, we need to team up and create a fictive corporation. Then we will write all the documents we may need for this corporation. The idea of creating it kind of knocked me out, but once this is done, the rest should go fine.

I will leave now to have breakfast - later, people.

No comments: