Wednesday, February 16, 2005

I'm kind of troubled.

My anti-virus was discontinued (or something) as of yesterday and I had to download their new version this morning, plus the virus signature file (again, or something, I just know what it is, the exact term is totally irrelevant)... Being at it, I ran a complete test (which I must've done not too long ago) and I was very surprised to find a trojan on my computer, and not any trojan: a dialer. The file was a dll and that's probably why the dialer doesn't appear to have been active (I'm just guessing that a dll can't change your settings on its own, but I don't know much about them). The folder it was in was created on January 28th, god only knows how because I don't remember having downloaded anything on that particular day.

Anyways. My problem is mainly how the hell did Ad-Aware not see it (the answer being another question: when the hell did I last update my ad-aware reference file?) and, more importantly, if I didn't download anything, how the hell did that thing get there through my firewall?

But anyways. I am pretty sure that the dialer never was active anyways so whatever. I'm just troubled. Again.

No comments: