Friday, May 06, 2005

Something that amazes me about English people is how they are CONSTANTLY aware of what time of the day/week it is.
And I'm not just talking about the damn "good morning/afternoon/night" distinction that's so annoying because you have to constantly keep track of what time it is that's apparently innate to them.
I'm also talking about their attention for holidays-weekends and stuff. They always know. They really do. You'll never say goodbye to an English colleague on Friday and not have them reply either "see you on Monday" or " have a good weekend". They'll always wish you a happy Thanksgiving although in Canada, we really don't give a damn about that holiday.
I don't think about stuff like that. I'll say hello or goodbye, that's as far as distinctions go with me. I don't think about when we're going to see each other next time, I don't think about what's happening during that period of time when we'll be NOT seeing each other, I'm just leaving and saying bye. How the hell then do THEY do to keep track of those things?

No comments: