Saturday, November 26, 2005

RENT, the movie: go see it. Now.

I mean it wasn't as as fantabulous as the show I got to see three years ago, but it's still worth it. They left out a lot of the songs and they cut a lot of lyrics from the songs that remained. I guess they really wanted to make a movie of it and not an actual musical, but I missed You okay honey, We're okay and Halloween.

Roger : is the greatest. I am in love with Roger. I loved him in the show I saw three years ago and I loved him in the movie. I don't know what it is about him but that dude is unbelievable.

Mimi : very good too. I was impressed by her voice. It was different from the original Mimi, who was sort of hoarse - which was okay, for a junkie.

Collins : love the guy. He's the only one I know for sure was part of the original cast on Broadway, plus he was in Ally McBeal (yay Greg) and he has the strongest male voice in that show for sure. I still like Roger better because he's more intense, but no one can top Roger.

Angel : Angel was good. Not extraordinary, not ordinary : just good. Angel never was my favorite, but I was very sad they removed the "golf claps" line...

Joanne : probably from the original cast. Unbelievable voice. Slightly too expressive.

Maureen : my only disapointment. No idea if she was part of the original cast, but I liked the Maureen I got to see way better. She was funnier.

Mark : it was weird that in the movie, Mark really seemed lonely. Of course it would be expected as he was the only character who's single, but he never seemed so lonely on stage on through the songs. Sinon, c'est vraiment le personnage du roux typique (même s'il était blond) qui vient tout rouge à rien et maudit qu'il est drôle.

Benny : great voice too. I never really liked Benny. He's not really an important character anyway.

Rent : The musical arrangement was very good, I liked the song although it didn't trigger the same reaction for me it did in the orginal show. The only thing that seemed weird was that Mark was bicycling while singing at the very beginning of the song.

One song glory : This song is evidently the most important in my eyes. It makes me feel like crying almost every time I hear it, and it did have a huge impact on me in the movie, but the musical arrangement at some point was way too much like rock for me. This is a sad song, people.

Light my candle : Not as funny as it was in the show, but still very entertaining. Love Mimi.

Today 4 u : Angel kicks ass.

You'll see : misplaced : it was sung after Rent. I didn't like that. I also missed the fact that there is no phone conversation between Benny, Mark and Roger (Tune up #2).

Tango : Maureen : awesome, but still less impressive than it was in the show. Mark rocked, though.

Out tonight : very troubling. Mimi is supposed to sing that song directly to Roger, begging him to take her out. However, she started that song dancing (she's a stripper) and finally arrived at Roger's place for the last three lines. Which was deceiving.

Another day : (God I love Roger ;)) Very good, and the fact that Roger would actually follow Mimi outside as he's kicking her out emphasized his actual feelings, whereas it wasn't as clear what he was thinking in the show as he simply kicked her out.

Will I : That song smacks you in the face.

Santa Fe : danced and sung in the subway. Very interesting. Collins' voice is crazy. I love Roger. ;)

I'll cover you : I've always liked that song (et pas seulement parce que j'avais fait un simili duo avec M. Sexy là-dessus, bon), the only bad thing about the way it's presented on the screen is that Collins and Angel actually start running on the sidewalk, hand in hand, as they're singing "I've longed to discover something as true as this is" and that just made me want to puke. You can be cute, but please don't overdo it.

Over the moon : This song is the main reason for my disapointment with Maureen. On stage, that song was hi-la-rious. On screen, it was just... okay. It was way too fast, it just felt fake. It was just one line after another, no impact. Sad.

La vie bohème : Unexpectedly, as good as it is on stage. Hilarious. Love La vie bohème.

I should tell you : That's another one of my favorite song and surprisingly, its impact was greater in the movie. The meaning was just clearer.

Seasons of love : Perfect. Way overdone on the CD and in the show (who needs to hear one song three times?) but it was used as an intro for the movie and that was the best decision ever.

Take me or leave me : Okay, the fact that Maureen and Joanne would get engaged and throw and engagement party caught offguard and I do not agree. The fact that they would start screaming at each other in the middle of said party felt just wrong. That song was slightly disapointing too. Better in the show. Then again, I love that song so maybe my expectations were too high.

Without you : awesome, but lesser impact. On stage you saw Mimi and Roger almost next to each other but clearly miles away and Angel dying at the same time. It was a very heavy song, and the fact that we had different screen shots showing us the two stories diminished the impact of the song.

I'll cover you - reprise : perfect.

Goodbye love : escamotée.

What you own : The fact that Roger and Mark meet only at the end of the song made me sad. It was only logical, but I wanted them to sing it side by side. And Mark actually told his boss he quit his job without grabbing a phone. That was troubling.

Finale + Your eyes : awesome.

No comments: