Saturday, December 31, 2005

Fiona Apple' latest CD, about which I do plan to stop talking one day, is a dual disc, meaning that one side is a CD and the other side is a DVD. It's pretty weird and I'd never heard of such a thing before 6 days ago. Both sides play the same music, but the DVD side has the "enhanced" version of the songs and a few videos.

I listen to my new CD's using the DVD drive on my computer, so of course I figured I'd play the DVD side. Then the other day I decided I wanted to listen to it while I was washing the dishes, so I put the album, CD side up, in my stereo. Then when I put it back into my computer drive, I figured maybe the CD side would be less of a hassle, because when you play the DVD side you have to watch the intro everytime and you can't just resume to the song you were listening to last when you left the computer.

And after many tries, I concluded that my DVD drive isn't dual-disc compatible. It won't play the CD side! Now there is a warning on the CD saying that the CD side doesn't "conform to CD specifications and therefore will not play on somme CD and DVD players" so it is understandable, but it is still very surprising that it would play without a problem on my stereo, which is about 3 years old, and it wouldn't on my computer, which is barely a few months old.

No comments: