Friday, April 28, 2006

I believe in signs but lately signs have been much confusing me.

The job offer in Ottawa was THE perfect opportunity to start my professional career, and it was certainly the best way to get away from those I feel no need to be close to.

That's why I took it.

Yesterday I received an e-mail from a friend telling me the office where she works was looking for a junior translator to temporarily fill in for a woman who's going to be on maternity leave in September.
I thanked her but declined, telling her I had accepted the other offer.

This morning I talked to the translator I'm helping with the urgent mandate I was talking about yesterday.
After we were done discussing it, she asked: "J. and I were wondering - you wouldn't happen to be interested in working in the legal field, would you?"
"Well, yes I would, actually, I'll be working in that field in September."
"Oh, I see, because J. and I talked about it and we'd be willing to do some lobbying for you in order to get you hired."
"Oh, um, wow, uh... well... I already accepted another offer..."

She left and I took off my coat, booted my computer, drank some water, feeling sort of numb.

A few minutes later she stopped by again, briefly - "Just think about it, the pay is good and you wouldn't have to move."
"I know. I'm extremely confused now."
"Haha - that's the whole point!"

No comments: