Sunday, May 27, 2007

Social correctness, interactions and cues confuse me. They just don't make sense to me, which is why I usually follow people's lead on them.

To me, the problem is, nobody ever actually says what they think - they drop clues and expect others to pick them up and make sense of them. Well, I suck at that, and after a while, I always end up with hundreds of different interpretations to choose from, which is totally exhausting.

The best solution I've worked out is walking up to people with one of those many interpretations laid out and saying: "I don't know whether this is what you're trying to tell me or expecting from me, but it's not getting through, so you really should tell me straight up."

It works out pretty good with people who are not professional pretenders.
Pretenders will look away from your casual efforts and make it impossible for you to lay the problem out in front of their eyes. They'll make it so you look like this completely paranoid person when you do - denying is really the easy way out.

So it doesn't work with you. I've tried, repeatedly, I've given you time to seize every opportunity, I've even made them up, but what you want is pretending. Which is so damn deceiving - I so dearly wanted you to be better than that.

I don't think you know pretending something's not broken doesn't fix it. We're changed, and that's a fact. I don't think you understand friendships need maintenance. I don't think you get that I can't just stand here and wait until you have time to remember me.

I just don't think you're ever going to learn.

No comments: