Wednesday, April 30, 2008

This blogger is a very good driver, in case you didn't know. In fact, she's so good she'd never gotten pulled over until, well, tonight.

Do give it some thought, ladies, before falling for a man who lives in an evil province like Ontario, where laws are so ridiculous.

So yeah. The first time I ever got pulled over was in Ontario. Because I didn't come to a complete stop when supposedly I should have. Sue me.

So I pulled over. The officer walked up to me and advised of what I'd done - which was a good idea because I truly had no idea. Then he asked to see my insurance papers and my driver's licence. I gave him the insurance papers, then fished inside my purse to get my driver's licence. Guess what happened next?

It wasn't in there.
The first time I ever got pulled over, I was in Ontario and I didn't have my driver's licence with me. Seriously, what are the odds?

Oh, and did I mention that about two days ago, Raiontzukai noticed a rear light had gone out?

So, in case you're wondering, not carrying your driver's licence is worthy of a 110$ fine in Ontario. (So ladies, if you're like me and you switch purses all the time, double-check.) And as they don't give out 72 hour warnings for thingies such as non-working lights anymore (as the officer kindly let me know), this is also an OFFENCE that will cost you another 110$. You should have seen my jaw drop.

Good thing is, by-law offence, such as not coming to a complete stop on a stop sign, are cheaper than in Québec - that's 35$.

Other good thing is, I only got the cheapest fine and got off with warnings for the two others so-called offences.

But still. The first time I got pulled over, I was in Ontario, not carrying my driver's licence in a vehicle that was missing a rear light.

Round of applause, folks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my hometown, if you were pulled over without a license, you had twenty-four hours to produce it before they'd issue a court summons. However, they would not let you back into the car until you had produced a license. So, if you didn't have it on you, you were walking until you got it and went to the police station to show it to them.

Clearly you need to learn how to cry and/or flirt with the cop. I've seen women get out of tickets numerous times simply by crying or, if that fails, flirting with the cop.

Mylène said...

Bof, moi je dirais que tu dois être pas pire pour le côté flirt/cry ou du moins look innoncent parce qu'il aurait très bien pu ne pas te laisser aller sur les deux autres offenses !

Quartz said...

Rob: Wow, that's harsh. I mean, I understand it is wrong not to have your licence with you, but they shouldn't go so crazy about it when they can easily check whether you have a valid licence...

Tweety: En effet, il a été très gentil. Mettons que ça fait mon affaire de payer 35 et pas 250!!!