Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Quartz's Current Obsession

A couple of weeks ago, the existence of the Great Trail Treasure Hunt was brought to my attention. It is that contest I was referring to recently.

The first thing I did was obviously go through the list of treasures for Québec and Ontario until I found one that seemed to be near a bike path I use on my way to and from work every day. I got very excited and grew convinced I knew where the treasure was hidden, and that afternoon I took my bike, made a little detour to go get it.... and couldn't find it. I spent a good 15 minutes looking, tried a different section of the bike path, and then cycled home, utterly disappointed.

That night, I took a look at the trail map and realized the section I had explored wasn't even part of the Great Trail. I kept exploring the list until I was able to identify the location of another treasure. That one was a bit too far for me, but it was near where Lali lives. The next day I got her as excited as I was, and she headed to the hiding place confidently that afternoon, just like I had, and was equally smacked in the face when she could not find the treasure either.

Then clues were given regarding another treasure located near my workplace. This was getting personal, but after one useless search on my lunch break, I was finally able to locate it. I was extremely proud. But.

Ever since I have been able of determining the location of two more treasures. I just can't freaking seem to FIND them. I just go out there, explore the place, turning every stone (or, more accurately, moving branches around while trying not to freak out clueless bystanders), I come home thinking I must have the wrong place - but NO, the next clues released just freaking confirm I was at the right spot. The GPS coordinates for one of those two treasures were actually released last week and BY GOD I swear that's where I was but still found nothing. (I haven't found the time to go back another time though as I'm concentrating on that other treasure I already should have found....)

This is becoming extremely humiliating.

No comments: