Wednesday, October 08, 2003

Has anybody noticed the advertisement thing for msn explorer ? I just saw it after sending a message through Hotmail - it reads 'Avoid viruses' and next to it is somebody dressed as a sort of bug - and most of all, wearing msn's multicolored wings.
Which would kind of mean that msn explorer is a virus. I'm finding this very, very funny.

And I got a new job ! This meaning I'm not going back home this weekend !!! I'm not ever going to work at that restaurant again !!! I'm so glad !

I started working at 6 this morning (yeah, I know. Early. And dark. And cold. But whatever) and it was cool. The funny thing is I was the only girl in the whole place (weird), but I liked the place. It's a café sort of place. We serve mainly coffee, of course, and many pastries, we have breakfast meals (this meaning this Quartz has got to learn how to make omelets, she who never, ever even so much as ate one) and lunch (sandwiches, soup, salad). It's not so complicated, the thing is, the place is so small one person has got to do everything. Bake the pastries in the morning, serve the people, do the dishes, clean the tables... It's not hard, it's just a lot of things to learn in one day. Good news is the boss told me I was good although this was just my first day and he's gonna call me tomorrow to tell me when it is I'm going to work next time.
It was weird, because I really got to see how CHEAP the other place is. Less clean first, and, god, I mean - they actually FORCED me to take a break ! And I did, and they thought it wasn't long enough so they sent me back ! And they kept insisting that I ate - while at the other place, I have to work for 5 hours in order to get 5$ worth of food I can eat. And no breaks. I was amazed.

Another funny thing was, when the boss told me that it had gone well, he said that it didn't show that I was nervous (which I wasn't so much, actually, just a tingling sensation in the stomach), and that I really was a people's person. As in, you know, the social type. Who, me ? Me ? I am sooooooo antisocial, actually !

Anyways. Fun times.

Ensuite de ça, j'ai le bonheur de vous annoncer que :

a) J'ai eu 97% dans mon examen de stylistique. J'ai pas compris comment. Ni pourquoi. Mais je l'accepte, étant donné le peu de substance de mon commentaire composé.

b) Je me suis fait un ami hier dans mon cours de traduction du moment où je me suis exclamée : Lucky charms !!! quand notre prof a parlé de l'expression 'a pot at the end of the rainbow'. C'était pas vraiment sensé être drôle, c'était vraiment pas mon meilleur coup, mais lui a trouvé ça drôle et a passé tout le cours à se bidonner de mes commentaires.

c) J'ai aussi impressionné des gens dans ce même cours, hier, en étant la seule à connaître l'expression "long comme un jour sans pain". (je ne PEUX PAS faire les guillemets français ici. J'ai trouvé comment dans word, et c'est hors de mon contrôle. C'est stupide.)

d) Mon prof de traduction m'a vivement répondu "NON" quand je lui ai dit qu'Aida était une comédie musicale à Broadway. Je me suis reprise en lui disant que c'était aussi un opéra - alors là seulement il a admis que c'était peut-être bien une comédie musicale aussi. J'ai été très insultée.

Je crois que c'est ça. J'ai un TP à remettre mardi prochain et une dissertation de théâtre de 10 pages à remettre dans un mois. J'ai choisi de comparer la version française à la version anglaise des Belles-Soeurs de Michel Tremblay, si du moins je peux mettre la main sur un exemplaire en anglais. Toute aide bienvenue, merci, au revoir !

No comments: