Tuesday, September 21, 2004

As promised :


From: Quartz
To: support@0catch.com
Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2004 5:34 PM
Subject: my website disappeared

Hi,

My website (quartz.bravepages.com) is not accessible anymore and I get this error message telling me that my username is invalid when I log is through Bravenet. It also tells me that my website was probably deleted because I violated the terms of service.

This is impossible. I really don't understand what's going on there and I really would like an explanation that makes sense, because I am definitely not happy with this right now.

Thank you


From: Shawn Heaton
To: Quartz
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 6:25 PM
Subject: Re: my website disappeared

I'll spare you the entirety of the e-mail as this very nice and helpful person simply copied and pasted the FAQ. Which kind of annoyed me. As you will notice in the following e-mail.

Thanks,
Hosting Solutions

From: Quartz
To: Shawn Heaton
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 5:50 PM
Subject: Re: my website disappeared


Thank you for copying and pasting the FAQ. I read that already, thank you.

My point is that the files in my account were all .html, .css and .jpg. None of the .jpg files were over 1meg. I was not abusing your service : my site was designed to tell my friends and family about some trips I went on with a friend. It was not an image-only site. Nothing about it was abusive or inappropriate. It had been there for almost 2 years, without a problem. I don't see why suddenly that changed.

I spent hours working on that, and it's all lost for no valid reason. If you don't want non-paying customers, don't offer the service. I was looking for a good reason for the disappearance of my website : you proved to me there isn't any.

(And here's a tip : if you don't want people to upload files over 1 meg, just don't allow it. That's what good hosts do. Good hosts also provide tech support that actually answers questions and doesn't copy and paste the FAQ.)

So delete away ! Copy and paste ! I guess you really want your customers to get the service they paid for...

From: Shawn Heaton
To: Quartz
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 8:11 PM
Subject: Re: my website disappeared


We don't keep record of why each site is deleted. It was one of the reasons in the faq. I'm sorry, but we no longer have your files.

Thanks,
Hosting Solutions

So they are officially assholes.

No comments: