Wednesday, December 29, 2004

I already talked about my holiday moment of glory yesterday, now I have to mention my holiday moment of pure amazement.

My father was raised the old-fashioned way : you sit around and your woman will serve you. All I ever saw his father do in my whole life was sitting in front of the TV and occasionally walking to the table to eat, so of course his sons have a similar attitude. Anyways, that is just a way of explaining how I never saw my father's signature in a wish card. It was always my mother's handwriting signing From Mom and Dad. Not that I really ever minded, it was just kinda weird. Then my father became fairly nearsighted, and when he doesn't have his glasses on (and he often forgets them in his car) we have to read or write stuff to him. That is why I was truly shocked when I opened a Christmas card the other day and I actually saw my father's handwriting in it. He actually made up a sentence of his own (because yes, I did ask if my mother had told him what to write), which is more than I ever thought he was able to do.

No comments: