Monday, July 30, 2012

In case you didn't know (and of course you didn't, because these things don't happen to you, they all freaking happen to ME), when you go to the ATM to make a deposit, and then right after swallowing your enveloppe the screen of the ATM freezes, the buttons stop responding and the lights go off, and nothing happens for 2 or 3 minutes, that is long enough for you to realize that you just might never see your bank card again and that you can't leave an ATM that will not give you back your card, and to dial up the number for ATM support, and then the ATM finally comes to and acknowledges your deposit and gives you your card back, well, when THAT happens, you come home a little less confident in Life.

4 comments:

Rob said...

This is why they tell you to never make a deposit at an ATM.

Quartz said...

Who does? Nobody every told me about that. Are we really supposed to take time off work to go make a deposit in person with a teller?

Rob said...

Pretty much anyone in the finance industry will tell you not to make deposits at an ATM. Even if all goes well, the money may not be available for days until someone physically goes to the machine and retrieves your deposit. Use direct-deposit whenever possible and find a bank or credit union that's open at lunchtime, evenings, and on Saturdays.

Quartz said...

Oh, I don't really care about the availability of funds. I get paid by direct deposit, so I always have the money I need in my account. It's just that I do have the odd check to deposit once in a while. Generally, there's only a 5-day hold on my physical deposits.

Plus I don't like people. It's great not to have to speak to a teller. ;)